Happy November 1st! Today kicks off two months’ worth of holidays. From Halloween through January, I love the buzz of excitement and celebration that we feel through New Year’s Day. With holidays on the horizon though, and especially after Hurricane Sandy, I’m reminded to be grateful for everything. My inconveniences (a downtown apartment without water or power and having to bounce back and forth between a hotel and my cousin’s Upper West Side apartment) are nothing compared to challenges some others are facing. So let’s all remember to be thankful as we move into the holiday season.
Speaking of holiday festivities, it’s no secret that I love pretending I’m a mixologist and creating drinks that include a little bubbly. Last weekend, I tested new recipes that make the perfect compliment to Thanksgiving dinner. After perfecting a few, I invited friends over to kick off the magic of the season with me on my roof deck and I’m excited to share one of the final products with you as we head into the weekend! Cheers!
- 4 ounces bourbon
- 6 ounces orange juice
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 bottle of chilled dry Champagne (try Korbel which can be found most places and at a great price point; perfect for entertaining!)
1. Combine bourbon and fresh orange juice in a large cocktail shaker.
2. Add pure maple syrup and fill with ice.
3. Cover and shake vigorously for 1 minute, then strain into champagne flutes. (I recently fell in love and picked up these from West Elm.)
4. Top with your favorite champagne.
5. If desired, garnish with an orange peel twist.
*Roofdeck, champagne glass image by Katie. Bourbon image via Food Network.